Monthly Archives: August 2019

Ben Lomond Junior Races and Inter Schools Competition – UPDATED to Sunday 25 August

By | Uncategorized | No Comments

Across the past 3 days the forecast for Saturday has deteriorated from 30kmph (15 knots) by late morning to 60kmph (30 knots) through into the late afternoon. The Forecast Gale Force winds up to 60kmph are above what would be reasonable winds to successfully and safely run the races in for the broad age race the event caters for noting the exposed nature of the mountain. In addition the forecast 3-6 mm precipitation through the day will further worsen strong winds into likely blizzard conditions in exposed windy areas of the snowfield. Conditions are forecast to change markedly on Sunday with winds dropping to 20-30kmph (10-15 knots).

Noting the forecast for both days and increased certainty 48 hours out from the scheduled start time, Myself and Acting Race Coordinator Gavin Stebbings have determined that delaying the races to Sunday 25 August 2019 is the best and most appropriate choice. As such, please share that the races will be run on Sunday 25 August 2019 with the same schedule as advertised. This decision has been made accordance with the bad weather clause noted on the posters. 

Ben Lomond Junior Races and Inter Schools Event 24 August 2019

By | BLC, Races | No Comments

Instructions and information for Parents and or Guardians who are registering competitors are below:

  • All Competitors are required to be registered on Snowracer and have an active SnowID number PLEASE NOTE All individuals need to “ReRegister” for each calendar year to be covered and reactivate their Snow ID
  • Once your SnowID has been reactivated, head to to formally enter the competition.
  • Competitors must wear a helmet and be able to maintain a snow plow to be eligible to enter
  • Competitors must wear a bib to access lifts and attend the race area. Whilst the races are underway competitors are able to access the lifts free of charge thanks to the support of Alpine Enterprises.
  • Competitors will be allowed two runs which will count toward their age division result as well as a school result should an individual be listed as competing in this too.
  • In the event that a Gate is missed a competitor’s time will be penalised by 5 seconds per gate. (Please note that this does not disqualify a competitor from attaining a finishing time
  • Assistance on the race course:
    • Physically intervening and assisting competitors on the course will result in them rec attaining a finishing time however all entrants will receive a certificate of participation.
    • Parents of Guardians choosing to shadow a competitor down the course are reminded to avoid the racing line and limiting snow plowing which will damage the courses integrity.
  • Interschool
    • Competitors will need to nominate their team (3 individuals per team) at the registration hut. 
    • Competitors who have nominated a school and do not select a team but have 3 competitors will be assigned a team
    • Competitors who don’t have enough numbers to form a team will not be listed to compete in the schools results unless they otherwise identify a proposed combined team.
    • Fastest combined time of the best two skiers in each team are added together to give a ‘school total combined time’
    • The team with the lowest total combined time win the shield for the school they represent
    • The Shield will remain on the mountain as a historic article of the Northern Tasmania Alpine Club

Ben Lomond Junior Races and School Races Competition Postponed until 24 August 2019

By | BLC, Races, snow, Winter | No Comments

Please be advised that the race committee led by Will Gordon as Race Director have made the decision to postpone the planned Ben Lomond Junior Races and School Races competition from this Saturday 17 August to the following Saturday 24 August 2019.
The decision has been made on a joint consensus basis with information gathered across the weekend on current conditions and working with schools supporting attendance at the event. The limited snow base and capacity to set a course upcoming weather and the hope of better conditions and snowfalls in the coming 10 days has formed the core basis for the decision.

Thank you for your understanding and patience at this time. Any questions or queries can be directed to Adrian Beswick, Vice President to or phone 0438 253 111

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By :